Six Reasons Why Wool is Great For Summer (but Really, Any Time of the Year)
Wool is a timeless textile that has been around for centuries and evokes feelings of warmth and coziness as much as it does sophistication and class.
In addition to wearing wool, you’ve likely heard or seen it used in a variety of other applications like carpets, blankets, furniture and upholstery, bedding, fertilizer and insulation to name a few. That’s because of the many qualities that lend to its durability and versatility as both a fashion textile and industrial material. Wool will never go out of style and this has surely been long-proven.
I’m drawn to wool for its incredible texture, variety of uses, and history. It’s an eco-friendly material that is biodegradable, renewable and can be easily recycled and repurposed. Burel wool in particular has a fascinating history in which it was used by shepherds in Portugal as protection from the harsh mountain elements and has since evolved into a fashionable, innovative textile that has revived a local economy (and is still used by shepherds). Bordaleira sheep, the sheep that Burel comes from, graze outdoors in the mountains, which is reflected in the quality of the wool. More on this amazing company later, and hopefully a visit to the factory to see firsthand, but for the time being you can check out more on the Materials page.
- Biodegradable and renewable
- Suitable to protect the skin from flames and is being studied for use by the military and firefighters
- Elastic and resilient
- Naturally breathable
- Easy to care for as fibers resist bacteria and stains and absorb odor molecules
- Easily recycled and reused
- Protects the body against changes in temperature, both warm and cool
- Good for the skin and not an allergen
- Helpful to improve sleep quality (bedding)
- Helpful to improve air quality in your home (such as rugs and carpets)
So, what are some qualities that make wool a great material for the summer?
- It wicks away moisture and sweat and helps regulate body temperature in hot (and cold) weather. It’s also odor-resistant!
- It won’t wrinkle when you wear it like other lightweight materials such as linen or cotton will.
- Wool is a natural UV barrier and better at protecting your skin from UV radiation than cotton and synthetic materials.
- It is elegant and innovative making it a great choice year-round.
- Wool is easy to wear and care for and responds well to ironing. It’s also easy to tailor as it doesn’t fray!
- It’s an environmentally friendly material – a seasonless quality – and a highly-respected resource, especially in the Serra da Estrela Mountains of Portugal where Burel originates.
As you can see, wool isn’t only suitable for the colder months but is a multi-faceted textile that can be worn and used for a variety of applications year-round. Check out the some of the Maragold styles in which wool has been made the star of the show – and be sure to share how you style your wool (in any month of the year)!
To stay on top of Maragold journal updates such as this, you may subscribe to the email list!